We’re proud of our work and we are looking for the next owner of Vermont Natural Sheepskins. If you are interested please read the details below carefully, and thoroughly, before contacting us for more information. Serious inquiries only, please.
Vermont Natural Sheepskins is now available for sale. If you are looking for a business that combines the skills required to work with your hands and manage production of a unique and organic product, with the opportunity to market services and finished goods to a wide range of clientele then this may be the business for you.
This business would be a great addition to your farm or ranch: tan your own sheep and goat skins and offer the service to other farmers. As the trend for organic and natural products extends beyond food to textiles, home goods, and furnishings, the market for organic sheepskins is growing.
Founded in 2015, Sarah and Rick Scully have proven the test case for organic tanning on a small scale in the United States. Sarah has been working full time in the business for the past 4 years, which brings in more than $80,000 in annual gross income. With a few additional hours of part-time help per week, we estimate the income generated could be $120,000 or more per year using only the existing equipment, and more if additional tanning paddles were added.
Asking price: $135,000. Purchase price includes:
- Two weeks of hands-on training at our central-Vermont facility.
- Formulas and information about the tanning process.
- All necessary and specialized equipment: 6 tanks with paddles; 2 industrial washing machines with drain and hair trap; plumbing pipes and water supply lines with shutoffs; fleshing machine with table; drying cabinet; buffing wheel with table; combing iron.
- Plans and materials list for building additional tanks and paddles.
- Miscellaneous furniture and fixtures: storage cabinets, chemical cabinet, work tables, display racks, shelving, safety equipment, etc.
- A supply of tannin, chemicals, and packaging materials.
- Full rights to use the name “Vermont Natural Sheepskins” (if buyer is in Vermont), or assistance with re-branding existing marketing and e-commerce assets (website, social media accounts, e-newsletter) to a new business name.
- Email list, customer list, and invoicing history.
- Ongoing assistance via phone and/or email once you have set up the business. We’ll be available for at least a year after the sale is complete to answer any questions you have.
Purchase price does NOT include moving costs.
- Approximately 1,400 square feet of workspace, plus storage for sheepskins.
- On-demand hot water.
- 3-phase power (for washing machines and combing iron).
- Concrete floor with floor drain for “wet” area.
- Water agreement with local authorities and/or on-site wetlands treatment for effluent.
- Radiant heat source would be better than forced air, but is not absolutely required.
- De-humidification is highly recommended.
Ideally, we would like to find a buyer located in New England or New York, because we want our current customer base to be well served by the new owners. While we have customers from as far away as Texas, Wyoming, California, and Washington, most of our base is in the Northeast.
If interested, please send an email to: vtsheepskins [[at]] gmail.com. Describe why you are interested and your previous business experience, if any.
This business will remain for sale until we have found a suitable buyer. Know of someone who might be interested? Please help spread the word!